Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Michael Keaton Interview on The Treatment

I just heard the KCRW radio interview of the actor Michael Keaton. This interview was taken place on February 4th, 2015 in front of a live audience. He is best known for his film like Night Shift (1982), Mr. Mom (1983), Beetlejuice (1988), Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1992), and Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014). I must mention that there are many people who will make the argument that Michael Keaton is the best actor who played Batman. I will leave that for you to decide. 
Now what I’ve known about Michael Keaton from other interviews like the late night shows that take place is how animated he is. In other words, he moves really quickly, and talk with his hands. Although this is funny and entertaining, it makes him seem like a welcoming kind of person. What I enjoy hearing is how he mentioned his childhood and that he was very imaginative. Also, it was good to know he was big reader that would get lost in his books. It’s was important to know that he felt that this may have helped him with his acting career. Something that I did know about Keaton is that he started his career, or body of work through stand-up comedy. This should have made some sense to because as mention he’s very charismatic and it shows in his movies. For example, the movie that I think displays a lot of himself in is the movie Night Shift (1982). There were a lot of funny moment in that film, but his character was in most of those moments. As he mentioned in his interview that he really enjoyed comedy, whether it was reading it, writing it, and performing it, and I feel he that he may have had a lot of input for his career. The interview kept coming back to staying focus and concentrating on one subject. 
In this scene we are introduce to Keaton's character in Night Shift (1982). With Henry Winkler.
 I think that it is amazing that Keaton is making a sort of come-back, though he never really left. What I enjoy about this interview is how he explains getting into character, and he says “I don’t, maybe that’s what happens when I flip the switch and go to work. I’m kind of all in […] It’s hard for me, not to be locked in. I get kind of, very detail oriented.” This is ironic to me because the most serious that I’ve ever really seen Keaton was his character as Bruce Wayne and Batman. That might be a cop-out but he had to be stoic one moment to playing a mystery man the next moment, which is what I was getting out of his character. I’ve recently seen Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014), I must say that it really leaves an impression. Keaton explaining his acting method would best explain his characters in Birdman.
 
Keaton's character Bruce Wayne reacts to the Bat Signal in Batman Returns (1992).
]What so respectable about Michael Keaton is that he doesn’t forget who he is or forget what made him so successful. In doing so he explains that “one thing that I do slightly obsess over, it always comes down to the funny.” I completely understand where he is coming from, even though comedy is about timing, it can also be personable or just witty as well. Going off subject, a movie that I think follows Keaton’s opinion is the film Some Like It Hot (1959) where there is a lot moment of Jack Lemmon’s character that gave you laugh out loud. What’s interesting is how Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis’s characters are somewhat similar to what Michael Keaton has done in film, playing multiple characters in one film. Now going back to the quote, I think Keaton passion for the funny is to let people feel more relax and personable. What I’m trying to say here is that he gives it an okay to laugh at moment that may not seem so comedic.

 Lastly, something that make both respect and love about Michael Keaton is how he will take on challenging roles. What’s interesting is that he even has to do research on himself as he mentions that “The degree of difficulty, is attracted, the fear factor is attracted […] I think and something and go ‘Well have I done that before’.” To me is shows that he one of those actors that feels that he more to offer than one type of character. I guess in way Keaton can be explaining that though comedy is his biggest strength, he can still play a serious, dark, to depressed characters. Though he is talking about himself, it seems that he could be telling the audience or his fans that it is important to challenge ourselves while not doing the same thing over and over again. Also as he mentions how people will resonate with the film Birdman because it helps them question their own self-worth and their ego. In other word, people have to challenge themselves but remind themselves why they are doing so.
 I may sound bias, but I felt like I was able to learn a lot more about Michael Keaton even if it was a short interview. For example, him speaking with Tim Burton about working on Batman (1989) and he was giving most of his opinions about working on the film and Burton agreed with Keaton on everything being said. Second, how he’s able to focus on his work whether it’s his character, content, or deadlines. Lastly would have to be his respect for the people who are involved in this industry. He even jokes about how the good looking men in this industry are cursed because people do not take them seriously and don’t appreciate the ones that are talented actors.  I think this is why a lot of people would want to work with Michael Keaton, and overall Michael Keaton is one of those actors who is able to keep an open mind when taking on a role. 
Keaton's character listens to the opinion of his altar ego in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment